On 21 July the Provost of Fife, Jim Leishman, unveiled a plaque on what was formerly the Royal Hotel in South Street commemorating this as the place where the St Andrews Burns Club was founded in 1869. The installation of the plaque had been planned as part of the Club’s 150th anniversary celebration but was delayed by difficulties in obtaining planning permission and then by the pandemic. 21 July was chosen for the unveiling as the date on which Burns died. Unfortunately, social distancing restrictions meant that only a small number of people could be present, which is why the invitation was very restricted. However, the plaque, generously sponsored by Colin McAllister, and featuring an illustration by David Joy as shown in this image, is now in place for all to see.
Blue Plaque Unveiling in South Street, St Andrews
All Images Copyright © Michael Joy, St Andrews